What additional requirements are there for transferring OverDrive WMA Audiobooks to Apple devices?
Most OverDrive WMA Audiobook titles can be transferred to Apple devices (where permitted by the publisher) using the Transfer Wizard in OverDrive Media Console v22.214.171.124 (or newer).
Before you begin, make sure that the title supports transfer to Apple devices. The publisher of each title decides whether or not to allow the title to be transferred to an Apple device. To determining whether a title can be transferred to an Apple device, there are two places you can check to see if a title can be transferred to an Apple device. You can check the eMedia Catalog or, if you have already downloaded the title, you can use OverDrive Media Console.
In the eMedia Catalog check whether a title can be transferred to an Apple device as follows…
Search for the desired title, and click it to bring up the page displaying details about the title. At this page, look for the heading ‘Digital Rights Information’. The information listed here will clearly indicate whether or not the publisher has enabled transfer to Apple device functionality.
In OverDrive Media Console v126.96.36.199 (or newer), check whether a title that you have already downloaded can be transferred to an Apple device as follows…
- In OverDrive Media Console, highlight the title and click the Properties button.
The Properties dialog box is displayed.
- Click the License tab.
License details for the title are displayed. The Transfer to Apple® device field indicates whether the title can be transferred to an Apple device.
- Click the Cancel button to close the Properties dialog box.
Now that you have confirmed the title can be transferred to an Apple device make sure:
- iTunes v9.1 (or newer) is installed.
- The Apple device is formatted for use with Microsoft Windows.
- The iTunes setting Manually manage music…must be enabled for Apple devices. Adjust this setting as follows…
- Connect the device to your computer.
- If it does not launch automatically, open iTunes (v9.1 or newer).
- In iTunes, locate the device in the left vertical navigation panel (under heading DEVICES), and click the device.
The Summary screen is displayed.
- If it is not already checked, place a checkmark next to option Manually manage music….
- Click the Apply button.
The iTunes Summary screen refreshes, and your changes are saved.
- If desired, close iTunes.
- When OverDrive WMA Audiobooks are transferred to Apple devices, the DRM-protected WMA files that make up the audiobook must be converted. The conversion process typically takes a few minutes per Part, resulting in transfer times that are longer than what you typically see on Apple devices. To minimizing the time it takes to transfer OverDrive WMA Audiobook titles to Apple devices, before transferring OverDrive WMA Audiobook titles to Apple devices, the Transfer Wizard detects the iTunes settings that affect transfer time and sound quality. If your iTunes settings do not match OverDrive Media Console’s recommended settings, the Transfer Wizard displays a prompt that shows both the current iTunes settings and the recommended settings. At this prompt, you can press the F1 key to access detailed instructions for updating iTunes settings. After the files are transferred to the device, the Transfer Wizard displays your previous iTunes settings so that you can, if desired, restore the original settings.