If you receive a, ‘User not authorized’ message after connecting the Nook to the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software and the device has been authorized, here is a tip to resolve the problem. Please note: if you have a MAC computer please read: Authorizing My Nook using a MAC.
1. Close ADE if it is open.
2. Connect the Nook to the computer and open the My Computer folder from the desktop or the Start menu.
3. Right-click on the Nook and select, “Explore.”
4. Find the folder ‘.adobe-digital-editions.’ It contains one small XML file.
5. Delete the folder, and therefore the file within.
6. Unplug the Nook.
7. Finally, open ADE, and plug-in the nook. Reauthorize the device.
8. Close ADE
9. Unplug the Nook from the computer
You should now be able to read the book on the Nook. If you still get the message ‘User not authorized’, shut down your computer, then restart it and run through the steps above again. On some systems this works.